Belief in the esoteric began in ancient times. Famous names including Pythagoras, Homer and Plato investigated the subject and believed in the immortal soul and reincarnation. It was Pythagoras who ascertained the figures for the principles of existence.
In the late eighteenth century, modern chemistry was developed, signaling the decline of the practice of alchemy and, in place of the teaching of alchemy, electricity and magnetism grew in importance. Spiritualism, occultism and many other subbranches developed in this important period for esotericism, and are still being expanded and modernized to this day. Thus, nowadays, channeling, fortune-telling and healing are very important parts of esotericism.
Today esotericism is, among other things, concerned with:
- Feng shui: Chinese teachings on the flow of energy
- Reincarnation: belief in life after death through rebirth
- Interpretation of dreams: deals with subliminal messages that are suggested by and assimilated into dreams
Predicting the Future
- Astrology: interpreting the stars
- Palmistry: interpreting the hands to predict the future
- Oracles: help to answer questions about future decisions
- Pendulums: the energy that lies in individuals or the cosmos can be used to answer questions
- Spiritualism: the invocation of spirits
- Tarot reading: information about past, present and future through the reading of cards